Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I want to Read



My little Madelyne is only four and she keeps asking me to teach her how to read. I have NO clue on how to do this. I researched a few sites on the Internet, that talked about site words, and "sounding out" words. Can it really be that simple? Next year she has two options for pre-school, one where she go and learn to read, and the other is much more project oriented. Madelyne LOVES projects more than anything, she is such a artistic sort of gal. I debated for months on what to do, and decided that the creative learning would be much more beneficial for her if I could start the reading process at home. She is so excited for next years school already, she adores Mrs. Mortneson, and can not wait to be in her class, so I know that is the right decisions. Now I just have to follow through on teaching her to read at home. If anyone has any suggestions let me know, I would love direction!(honestly she is only four, and this is crazy to have to think so much about her school already!)Thats Madelnye for you!

5 comments:

Tyra said...

Parker, too, got really excited about reading and writing about 6 months ago. He can read and spell out many 3 or 4 letter words (and his name of course) I found a few things that really helped him catch on so fast. We have some workbooks from Costco that he can trace letters and numbers and do activities that encourage those same letters. Then the website, www.starfall.com is wonderful. Not only does it teach them to sound out every letter, they do it in a really fun way he thinks he is playing a game! The last thing that he LOVES are the leapfrog dvds Word factory, and math circus. Those are the coolest movies EVER!
We took him to register for kindergarten yesterday and he passed the screening test perfectly. I was in awe that he REALLY knew all that stuff, I just can't beleive he is going to school......

Anonymous said...

I am scared for when Avery wants to learn to read....I have no clue how to teach someone to do something I do everyday without even thinking about it. My neice Maci has the leapfrog DVD about learning letters and their sounds, she is almost two and she knows all the sounds the letters make.

Lisa said...

The LeapFrog DVDs are wonderful! Jenna and Hayden watch "The Letter Factory" all the time! We were driving somewhere the other day and Jenna was singing the alphabet and Hayden jumped right in with her. I want to get the number and word DVDs next. I just found mine at Walmart, so I am pretty sure you can find them almost anywhere.

In Kindergarten, they do a lot with "sight words". These words are the most common words and they mostly learn them by association of seeing the word and hearing what it is. I will look on Cami's school district website and see if I can find anything for you. Good luck Madelyne!!!

Kay said...

I am definitely no expert, but try Starfall.com I use it with Lizzy to teach letters and sounds. She is only 22 onths and does pretty good. They also have a learn to read section, but I haven't really looked at it since my child is way to young. Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

We are using a book called Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons. Matthew is really coming along and I like how they stress the letter's sound more than the name.